Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Battle of Antietam

It is an utmost tragedy that I would not wish upon my greatest enemy to see the horrors that I saw at Antietam Creek. When I volunteered to protect the great state of Maine I did not expect to spend a day in so much fear as I watched my countrymen fall and their countless corpses that were left on the battlefield.

Joshua Chamberlain

Lieutenent Colonel of the 20th Maine Infantry Regiment

http://www.nps.gov/archive/gett/getttour/sidebar/chambln.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=LVKla6xI6v8C&pg=PA61&dq=Joshua+chamberlain+and+the+Battle+of+Bull+Run&client=opera

2 comments:

  1. Joshua Chamberlain,
    We all suffered great losses in this battle. Friends and family all fell to the forces of the Confederacy. This is another reason why we, the Union, need to band together to defeat the scoundrels that took our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that suffering has occurred throughout this war. However, it is suffering that could have been avoided if tolerance for states' rights were practiced by the Union

    ReplyDelete